Ramaphosa Orders Troop Deployment to Tackle Illegal Mining and Gang Violence

South Africa will deploy troops to support police operations against illegal mining and gang violence, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on February 12, 2026, during his annual State of the Union address in Parliament.

Ramaphosa described organised crime as “the most immediate threat to our democracy”, citing its impact on economic stability and public safety, particularly in Gauteng and the Western Cape — home to the country’s largest cities.

He said children in the Western Cape are increasingly caught in gang crossfire, while communities in Gauteng face displacement linked to illegal mining activities. To address the crisis, he confirmed the deployment of the South African National Defence Force to reinforce policing efforts.

South Africa recorded an average of about 63 homicides per day in 2025, with firearms the most commonly used weapon. Authorities estimate that in 2024 alone, the country lost more than $3 billion in gold to illegal mining operations. The miners, commonly known as “zama zamas”, are alleged to be
linked to organised criminal syndicates.

The president said government strategy will prioritise intelligence-led, technology-driven operations and coordinated enforcement to dismantle crime networks. An additional 5,500 police officers are to be recruited as part of the broader security response. The Minister of Police and defence officials have been tasked with finalising a technical deployment plan within days.

The announcement comes amid an ongoing national inquiry into alleged criminality, political interference and corruption within the justice system. The commission, established in September 2025 following public outcry and claims that security institutions had been infiltrated by criminal syndicates, continues to hear testimony from multiple witnesses.