Mali: Twenty-four Malian soldiers were killed and many missing after Sunday ambush

The Malian army gave this Monday evening a first assessment of the ambush of one of its patrols on Sunday afternoon in the region of Diabaly, north of Segou towards the Mauritanian border. According to FAMA, 24 soldiers were killed.
The Malian army announced in a tweet this first death toll of 24 dead, eight survivors and four vehicles destroyed. “Assessments are continuing in the area,” said the army, which had announced a few hours earlier that reinforcements had been sent to the scene.
The Malian army does not say whether there are still any missing persons, but this is not excluded, since according to our information at the end of the morning, about 40 men were missing.
For the moment there is little information on the progress of the ambush. All we know is that the patrol attacked on Sunday had about 60 men and that the first survivors were able to return to their camp not far from the Mauritanian border.
Since Monday afternoon, a video has been circulating with several bodies of Malian soldiers killed in an environment that seems to correspond to that of the attack, but it has not been authenticated for the moment.
On Saturday June 13, two Egyptian soldiers with the UN peacekeeping force MINUSMA were killed when their convoy came under attack in northwestern Mali, the United Nations said.

About Khalid Al Mouahidi 3412 Articles
Khalid Al Mouahidi : A binational from the US and Morocco, Khalid El Mouahidi has worked for several american companies in the Maghreb Region and is currently based in Casablanca, where he is doing consulting jobs for major international companies . Khalid writes analytical pieces about economic ties between the Maghreb and the Mena Region, where he has an extensive network